3D Printing at The Hive
The Hive makerspace offers 3D printing to any patron with a valid, full privilege Lewisville library card in good standing. The only charge to use the 3D printing service is a $0.10 per gram fee for the weight of the printed object. Be sure to review The Hive User Guidelines for full details on accessing 3D printing at The Hive.
What is 3D printing?
3D printing is the process of creating three dimensional objects from a digital file. Objects are printed on a specialized printer using a heating element to melt plastic filament and lay down the many tiny layers of the 3D object.
- The 3D printers are managed by Library staff. Patrons must submit their 3D print job as an .STL file using the online form. (NOTE: A Google account is currently required to submit 3D print jobs using the online form. We are actively working on an alternative method for submitting 3D print jobs for those that do not have a Google account.)
- Patrons will be emailed once their print job is available for pick up. Library staff will do their best to complete 3D print jobs as quickly as possible. However, due to several variables involved with 3D printing and changes in demand, wait times may vary.
- All patrons submitting a 3D print job must have a valid full privilege Lewisville library card in good standing and have read The Hive User Guidelines and the guidelines for submitting 3D print jobs.
- 3D designs can be created using Tinkercad.com, a free online platform. Other free, online design programs include, Blender.org and OnShape.com. Designs must be less than 9" x 9" x 9" in order to fit on the print bed.
- Free digital designs are available on Thingiverse.com and MyMiniFactory.com. The creators of the shared designs on these sites may have restrictions on usage, so please read carefully.
- Per Library guidelines, The Hive is intended for hobbyist and prototyping purposes. Mass production of goods cannot be supported in The Hive. The production of dangerous items, weapons, and weapon accessories is prohibited. No production on machinery in The Hive may violate U.S. or international copyright law.
|Brand/Model||Polyprinter 229 [click here for user manual]|
|Print Bed Size||9" x 9" x 9"|
Need to learn how to use the design software listed above? Take a free online video course from Lynda.com. Access Lynda.com from the Library's Learning Tools webpage with your valid Lewisville library card and PIN.
|Free Digital Designs|
|Cost (by weight)||$0.10 per gram|