Below are details on how you can receive free income tax filing assistance, as well as information on the tax resources available at the Library.
AARP Tax Aide - Free income tax assistance for those ages 50+
Mondays and Wednesdays, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
February 3- April 15, 2020
Advance appointment required -- Sign-up is now open
Location: Library Computer Lab
AARP Tax Aide is designed to provide free tax preparation for Seniors ages 50 and over with low to middle income levels. AARP volunteers will be providing this tax assistance. Tax Aide volunteers may assist in filing the current income tax year and up to two years previous. They are unable to assist with returns involving rental properties, farming, or any business claiming deduction for home office, depreciation, or expenses exceeding $25,000. Other restrictions may apply. Assistance is by advance appointment only.
MAKING AN APPOINTMENT:
Appointments must be made in advance. Appointment sign-up will begin in January 2, 2020. A limited number of appointments are available. Appointments can be made by calling or visiting the Lewisville Public Library or the Lewisville Senior Activity Center.
Lewisiville Public Library
| Lewisville Senior Activity Center
Music City Mall, 2401 S. Stemmons Frwy #2194
[click here for map]
WHAT TO BRING TO YOUR APPOINTMENT:
- Photo I.D.
- Copy of your 2018 income tax return
- Documents related to your 2019 income tax such as:
- Social Security statement, W-2 forms, 1099-R forms, interest and dividend bank statements, brokerage accounts, oil or gas royalty statements, etc.
- List of medical expenses broken down to show a total for each item (ex: prescriptions, doctors, eye exams, dental, hearing aids, medical insurance, long term insurance, etc.) Remember to calculate round trip mileage going to see doctors, hospital visits, trips to pharmacies, etc.
- List of donations with monetary and non-cash donations listed separately.
- Documentation of tax paid on major purchases (i.e. home, car, boat)
- Documentation of expenses paid for energy savings projects for your home
- Documentation of paid child care expenses while you worked
Saturdays, 12-3:30 p.m.
February 1 - April 11, 2020
Assistance provided on first-come, first-served basis.
Location: Library Computer Lab
United Way of Denton County offers free tax preparation assistance for anyone with an income up to (not over) $58,000 per year. No appointment is required. Assistance is provided on a first-come, first-serve basis.
WHAT TO BRING WITH YOU:
- Social Security card or ITIN card/letter for taxpayer, spouse, and all dependents (original only)
- Photo ID for taxpayer and spouse
- Checkbook or bank document with routing and account numbers for direct deposit of tax refund
- Completed Form 13614-C - Intake/Interview & Quality Review Sheet (Form 13614-C en español)
- Any and all documents related to income that my be necessary to file your income tax return
Some restrictions may apply. Click here to view tax scenarios and subjects that VITA volunteers CANNOT help you prepare.
Assistance in Spanish is also available. For additional dates and locations, visit the United Way of Denton County VITA website at www.unitedwaydenton.org/VITA
Income tax forms and instructions have been ordered for distribution at the Lewisville Public Library. The new Form 1040 uses a "building block" approach, in which the tax return is reduced to a simple form. That form can then be supplemented with additional schedules if needed. Taxpayers with straightforward tax situations would only need to file this new 1040 with no additional schedules.
The new Form 1040 is distributed as Form 1040 Booklet and contains one copy of the Form 1040 along with one copy of Schedules 1 through 6. The instructions for Form 1040 are a separate publication. The Library has ordered quantities of both the Form 1040 Booklet and the 1040 Instructions.
|Publications for 2019 Income Tax||Library has received?*|
|Form 1040 Booklet||YES|
*The IRS ships income tax forms and publications as they become available. As soon as the forms are received, the Library makes them immediately available on the Tax Form shelf located on the 1st floor of the Library near the stair case.
Not sure which form to file, visit www.irs.gov/newsroom/choosing-which-form-to-file
For IRS Telephone Assistance call 1-800-829-1040