We invite you to participate in this free program which encourages you to read 1,000 books with your newborn, infant, toddler, or preschooler before he or she starts kindergarten. Your child will receive a free book for completing the
1,000 Books Before Kindergarten challenge.
- Read with your child. Reading together provides a great opportunity for bonding. Reading together is fun and will create life-long memories for you both. Children who learn to love books are more likely to excel in reading and writing in the future.
- Keep track of the books you read with your child. Make a record of what you are reading on our convenient reading log available at the Youth Desk or through the free app for Apple or Android. The journal itself makes a great keepsake for your child.
- Write down the date and title of each book you finish in your reading log, or log it on your app. Bring your log or device to the library when your child reaches 100 books, 500 books, and 1000 books to add his or her name to our achievements wall!
- You can read your favorite books multiple times and still love each time your child enjoys it.
If you consider that most children start kindergarten at around 5 years of age, you have more time than you think--so get started!
- Who can participate in this program?
Any child from birth until he or she enters kindergarten can participate in the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten program.
- How long will the program take?
The program can take anywhere from a few months to a few years. The program is self-paced and will depend on how often you read together.
- How many of my children can participate?
All of them (provided they have not yet started kindergarten). Make it even more fun and read as a family.