The Lewisville Public Library has a long history of serving the Lewisville community. The Library started in the early 1950s as volunteer run community library. In 1965, Opal Oswalt was hired as the first full time professionally trained librarian. On September 1, 1968, the City designated the Library as a city department and Cynthia Bennett was hired as the first Library Director. In 1990, the Friends of the Lewisville Public Library was established as a volunteer group, providing support to the Library. December 1992 saw the installation of the automation system, shifting from a manual system of managing the Library's collection and records to an electronic circulation system and online catalog. Over 100,000 books were barcoded!
In it's over 50 year history, the Lewisville Public Library has been located in seven different buildings (see list below), and at one time maintained two locations for several years. In 1989, the Library relocated to the Municipal Annex at 1197 W. Main Street at the northeast corner of Main Street and Civic Circle. The Library added it's first public computers in 1998 with eight PCs that offered Microsoft Office and the Internet. Teens got their own area and collection in 1998.
In 2002, voters approved the 4B sales tax which provided funding for a major library expansion. In July 2005, ground broke on the expansion that would more than triple the size of the Library building. The library space that was part of the Municipal Annex was renovated to become the Cynthia Bennett Children's Wing, and the building was expanded to include the two floors that house the Adult, Teen, World Language, and media collections you see today. The newly expanded Lewisville Public Library grand opening was held February 17, 2007. The expansion also included a computer lab, meeting rooms, study rooms, a drive-up window, additional public computers, and wireless internet.
In 2006, the Library incorporated radio frequency identification (RFID) on all materials, allowing for the addition of the self-check out service, security gates, and smartchutes for automatic check-in of materials. RFID implementation greatly improved patron service, as well as the automation and management of the Library collections.
Things just keep getting better at the Lewisville Public Library! Below is a list of some of the exciting resources, services and programs implemented in the last few years.
LIBRARY LOCATIONS THROUGH THE YEARS
Basement of Old Presbyterian Church
|Old post office building
151 W. Church Street
northeast corner of Church and Charles Streets
|southeast corner of Charles & Walters||1971-1989|
|Old Library building at Charles & Walters renovated to serve as the Old Town Branch Library||1993-2001|
|1197 W. Main Street
In 2007, the expansion saw the Library building increase to 77,800 square feet!
DIRECTORS OF THE LEWISVILLE PUBLIC LIBRARY